Show me, Tell me Questions and Answers from the 4th December 2017
Tell me questions:
1. Open the bonnet and tell me how you would check that the engine has sufficient oil?
You need to identify dipstick and oil level indicator, describe how to check of oil level against the minimum and maximum markers.
2. Show me and explain how you would check that the power assisted steering is working properly before starting a journey?
If the steering becomes heavy the system may not be working properly. Before starting a journey two simple checks can be made. Gentle pressure on the steering wheel, maintained while the engine is started, should result in a slight but noticeable movement as the system begins to operate. Alternatively turning the steering wheel just after moving off will give an immediate indication that the power assistance is functioning.
3. Open the bonnet and tell me how you'd check that the engine has sufficient engine coolant?
You need to identify high and low level markings on header tank, and describe how to top up to correct level.
4. Identify where the windscreen washer reservoir is and tell me how you would check the windscreen washer level?
You need to identify the reservoir (washer bottle) and explain how to check the level.
5. Open the bonnet and tell me how you'd check that you have a safe level of hydraulic brake fluid.
You need to identify the reservoir, check level against high and low markings.
6. Tell me how you would check that the direction indicators are working?
Explain, I could press the hazard warning switch and check all the indicators by walking around the car.
7. Tell me how you would check that the brake lights are working on the car ?
Make use of reflections in windows, garage doors, etc, or ask someone to help by standing behind the car, while you press the brake pedal.
8. Tell me how you would check that the brakes are working before starting a journey?
The brakes should feel firm and not spongy or slack. Brakes should be tested as you set off and should not pull the car to one side.
9. Tell me how you would check that the headlights & tail lights are working? ( No need to exit car )
Explain only: Operate the switch and walk round the vehicle, checking the bulbs
10. Tell me where you would find the information for the recommended tyre pressures for this car and how tyre pressures should be checked?
I would check the manufacturer’s guide, use a reliable pressure gauge, check and adjust pressures when the tyres are cold, not forgetting the spare tyre and remembering to refit the valve caps.
11. Tell me how you would check the tyres to ensure that they have sufficient tread depth and that their general condition is safe to use on the road?
There should be no cuts or bulges on the wall of the tyres. Have a minimum of 1.6mm of tread depth across the central ¾ of the breadth of the tyre and around the entire outer circumference.
12. Tell me how you would switch your headlight from dipped to main beam and exlain how you would know the main beam is on?
Operate switch and check with main beam warning light is on.
13. Tell me how you would switch on the rear fog light(s) and explain when you would use it/them?
I would turn on the dipped headlights ( If necessary ) and then the fog lights and check the warning light is on.
14. Tell me how you would know if there was a problem with your anti lock braking system?
The warning light should illuminate and stay on if there is a fault with the anti lock braking system.
15. Tell me how you make sure your head restraint is correctly adjusted so it provides the best protection in the event of a crash?
The head restraint should be adjusted so the rigid part of the head restraint is at least as high as the eye or top of the ears, and as close to the back of the head as is comfortable. N.B Some restraints might not be adjustable.
Show me questions:
1. When its safe to do so, can you show me how you wash and clean the rear windscreen?
2. When its safe to do so, can you show me how you wash and clean the front windscreen?
3. When its safe to do so, can you show me how you'd switch on your dipped headlights?
4. When its safe to do so, can you show me how you'd set the rear demister?
5. When its safe to do so, can you show me how you'd demist the front windscreen?
6. When its safe to do so, can you show me how you'd open and close the side window?
7. When its safe to do so, can you show me how you'd operate the horn?