Show me, Tell me Questions and Answers from the 1st July 2008
1. Open the bonnet, identify where you would check the engine oil level and tell me how you would check that the engine has sufficient oil?
You need to identify dipstick and oil level indicator, describe how to check of oil level against the minimum and maximum markers.
2. Show me and explain how you would check that the power assisted steering is working properly before starting a journey?
If the steering becomes heavy the system may not be working properly. Before starting a journey two simple checks can be made. Gentle pressure on the steering wheel, maintained while the engine is started, should result in a slight but noticeable movement as the system begins to operate. Alternatively turning the steering wheel just after moving off will give an immediate indication that the power assistance is functioning.
3. Open the bonnet, identify where you would check the engine coolant level and tell me how you would check that the engine has the correct level?
You need to identify high and low level markings on header tank, and describe how to top up to correct level.
4. Show me how you would check the parking brake ( hand brake ) for excessive wear? ( Make sure you keep control of the vehicle )
Apply footbrake firmly,then demonstrate by applying the parking brake that when it is fully applied it secures itself, and is not at the end of the working travel.
5. Identify where the windscreen washer reservoir is and tell me how you would check the windscreen washer level?
You need to identify the reservoir (washer bottle) and explain how to check the level.
6. Show me how you would check that the horn is working?
You would just check by pressing the horn (turn on ignition if necessary).
7. Open the bonnet, identify where the brake fluid reservoir is and tell me how you would check that you have a safe level of hydraulic brake fluid.
You need to identify the reservoir, check level against high and low markings.
8. Show me how you would check that the direction indicators are working?
Simply press the hazard warning switch and check functioning of all the indicators.
9. Show me how you would check that the brake lights are working on the car ( I can assist you, if you need to switch on the ignition, please don't start the engine) ?
(With the ignition on) Operate the brake pedal and make use of reflections in windows, garage doors, etc, or ask someone ( examiner ) to help by standing behind the car, while you press the brake pedal.
10. Tell me how you would check that the brakes are working before starting a journey?
The brakes should feel firm and not spongy or slack. Brakes should be tested as you set off and should not pull the car to one side.
11. Tell me how you would check that the headlights & tail lights are working? ( No need to exit car )
Explain only: Operate the switch and walk round the vehicle, checking the bulbs
12. Tell me where you would find the information for the recommended tyre pressures for this car and how tyre pressures should be checked?
I would check the manufacturer’s guide, use a reliable pressure gauge, check and adjust pressures when the tyres are cold, not forgetting the spare tyre and remembering to refit the valve caps.
13. Tell me how you would check the tyres to ensure that they have sufficient tread depth and that their general condition is safe to use on the road?
There should be no cuts or bulges. 1.6mm of tread depth across the central ¾ of the breadth of the tyre and around the entire outer circumference.
14. Show me how you would switch your headlight from dipped to main beam and exlain how you would know the main beam is on?
( With ignition turned on ) Operate switch and check with main beam warning light.
15. Show me how you would switch on the rear fog light(s) and explain when you would use it/them? ( No need to exit vehicle )
Operate switch ( turn on dipped headlights and ignition if necessary ). Check warning light is on. Explain use.
16. Tell me how you would know if there was a problem with your anti lock braking system?
The warning light should illuminate if there is a fault with the anti lock braking system.
17. Tell me how you make sure your head restraint is correctly adjusted so it provides the best protection in the event of a crash?
The head restraint should be adjusted so the rigid part of the head restraint is at least as high as the eye or top of the ears, and as close to the back of the head as is comfortable. N.B Some restraints might not be adjustable.
18. Show me how you would clean the windscreen using the windscreen washer and wipers?
( With ignition turned on ) Operate control to wash and wipe windscreen.
19. Show me how you would set the demister controls to clear all the windows effectively, this should include both front and rear screens ?
Set all the relevant controls including fan, temperature, air direction / source and heated screen to clear windscreen and windows. ( Engine does NOT need to be started )